Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lazy Cable Hat - Free pattern!!


The hat in all it's beauty... Close up of the cable sequence...
My goodness, the patterns are coming fast and furious now! LOL Anyway, here's another hat I've put together. I love the look of cables but I am bit lazy...so, I came up with a lazy person's version of cabling. I hope you like it. I added a little video tutorial (I think I am going to be addicted to those things!) to help explain the cable sequence. Enjoy!

Lazy Cable Hat

NOTES: K hook, ww yarn, join each round

Round 1: Ch 3, 9 dc into 3rd ch from hook (10 dc)

Round 2: Ch 3 (doesn’t count as a stitch). 2 fpdc around each dc from Round 1 all the way to end of round (20 fpdc)

Round 3: Ch 3 (doesn’t count as a stitch). *2 fpdc around each of the next 4 fpdc from Round 2, 1 fpdc around next fpdc from Round 2* Repeat from * to end of round. (36 fpdc)

Round 4: Ch 3 (counts as a dc from here to end of pattern), dc in same st. Fpdc next 2 st, 2 dc in next st, fpdc around same st and around next 3 st. *2 dc in next st, fpdc next 2 st, 2 dc in next st, fpdc around same st and in around next 3 st.* Repeat from * to end of round. (36 fpdc, 24 dc)
NOTE: at this point your hat will be really floppy. Don’t worry! It will work itself out shortly.

Round 5 (beginning of cable sequence): Ch 3, bpdc around dc from Round 4, fpdc around 2nd fpdc from hook, fpdc around skipped fpdc, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc around next 4 st, *bpdc next 2 st, fpdc around 2nd fpdc from hook, fpdc around skipped fpdc, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc around next 4 st* Repeat from * to end of round. (36 fpdc, 24 bpdc)

Round 6: Ch 3, bpdc next st, fpdc next st (this will be buried under another fpdc – use your hook or pull your work slightly apart to find it), fpdc next st, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next 4 st, *bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next st (this will be buried under another fpdc – use your hook or pull your work slightly apart to find it), fpdc next st, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next 4 st* Repeat from * to end of round (36 fpdc, 24 bpdc)

Round 7 (end of cable sequence): Ch 3, bpdc around next st, fpdc next 2 st, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next 4 st *bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next 2 st, bpdc next 2 st, fpdc next 4 st*. Repeat from * to end of round. (36 fpdc, 24 bpdc)

Repeat Rounds 5 – 7 4 more times.

Brim Round 1: Ch 3, dc in next st and ea st around. (60 dc)

Brim Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as bpdc), *fpdc around next dc, bpdc around next dc* Repeat from * to end of round. (30 fpdc, 30 bpdc)

Brim Round 3: Ch 3 (counts as bpdc), *fpdc around ea fpdc, bpdc around ea bpdc* Repeat from * to end of round. (30 fpdc, 30 bpdc)

Brim Round 4 – 5: repeat Round 3. If the hat needs to be a bit longer, just repeat this round until desired length is reached.

Don't be daunted by the looks of this pattern. Trust me; if I can do this pattern, and even write it, YOU can do it. :)


25 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this pattern! I make hats for my hubby who is bald and like to find new ones to try!!
    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get beyond 14 secs of your tutorial. I let it buffer all the way to the end and start it over and over and cannot get past it. it's just stuck. Help!!!! I love the look of this hat and I like to see tutorials when they are offered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cables too, and have saved several patterns, but have shied away from actually doing them. I'll do this one. Thank you so much! Good to know I'm not the only lazy person around LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gbtigger - I don't know what to tell you about the tutorial. I tried to email it to you also, but the file was too big. I am so sorry it's not working for you. :(

    wwillow15 - I am the queen of lazy! Give it a try. Once you get the first couple of rows, it will be really easy to follow. And you will be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! I like using the written directions, and they seemed intimidating at first, but I got through and the hat came out great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this hat for my daughter in one afternoon!!! Thanks so much, can't wait to make more for everyone for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Please share pics if you get the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I can't get the tutorial to work either...
    After round 3 I have 36 stitches, but when I get to the end of round 4 I only have 18dc and 26 fpdc (44 stitches altogether) I have taken it out and tried again 3 times, do you have any idea what I'm missing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried the video on 4 different computers/devices and it seems to just get stuck at about the 15 second mark. Could you try re-uploading maybe? I searched for it on youtube itself but it seems to be only available here on the blog. Maybe if you put it on your youtube channel? Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello mamagina! I just did a little mock up to see what the problem might be and I think I see the problem. Try using this set of instructions for Row 4 -

    Ch 3 (counts as a dc from here to end of pattern), dc in same st. Fpdc in same st and next st, 2 dc in next st, fpdc around same st and in around next 3 st. *2 dc in next st, fpdc in same st and next st, 2 dc in next st, fpdc around same st and in around next 3 st.* Repeat from * to end of round. (36 fpdc, 24 dc)

    Give this a try and see if it clears up any confusion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Andy! This was one of the first videos I think I ever put up and I think I did it totally wrong. LOL Anyway, I will try to get a new version up and running soon - hopefully today.

    Is there any part in particular that is confusing you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! It worked!! Thank you so much for responding so quickly :).
    Andy is my husband (I'm making the hat for him) and he was trying to get the video tutorial to work for me :)
    Thank you for the free pattern, I think it's going to be a great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more question as I start round 5... After I fpdc in the skipped fpdc, does the next bpdc go into the bp of the next stitch that already has a fpdc in it? I've only been crocheting for a few months, and detailed patterns are pretty new to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, the bpdc will go around the dc from the previous row. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! In round four when you say "fpdc around same st and in around next 3 st." What does "in around" mean? I tried in the stitch and around the fpdc but I think that's wrong. I My count keeps getting messed up in this round and after starting 3 times I just gave up for another of your hat patterns, but I really want to do this one. Please help! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what that means? That probably means I wrote that post really late at night, or after a few cocktails. LOL What a typo! It should say "fpdc around same st and around next 3 st."

    Sorry for the confusion!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The video gets stuck on 15 seconds no matter what. I'd suggest just posting the link to the Youtube video.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love it. if I want to make it bigger can I add stitches at the beginning? made my first one but it was tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have found that the pattern seems to be a bit tight for quite a few people. I think I will re-tool this pattern and post an updated version. Check back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. your video tutorial is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How many stitches should I add to make this hat a little bigger? It doesn't fit my melon head. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. why is there no gauge? not everyone has same tension...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists? Contact us (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    Your Name:...............
    Your Country:...............
    Your Occupation:...............
    Loan Amount Needed:...............
    Loan Duration...............
    Monthly Income:...............
    Your Telephone Number:.....................
    Business Plan/Use Of Your Loan:...............
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com
    Phone number :+1-270-551-4764 (WhatsApp Only)

    ReplyDelete